EAMCET blues

I’ve always been sanguine about myself, been this cocky lil’ girl, going around with a smug look on my face[I'm told so, all the time], from my childhood. Narcissism…nah!!!! But yeah...from the day I was born I must’ve strongly believed that self-deprecation was a damn sin (and my lanta I did live up to that or what?)With God’s grace, my parents have never worried about my grades…nor did I…'Results day' was always ‘celebration day’.

My first shocker:

My brother aced his CBSE tenth wid 95.4%. and it is to be assumed (naturally) that my only goal in life then was to drub his score… nothing else mattered to me those two years(annayya is 2 yrs senior to me). I did the best of my ability in the exams and my teachers were quite certain I’d make mincemeat of his score…but then...call it ill luck, poor correction, wrong choice of Second language or destiny..Whatever!, I put up a pathetic 87 odd%...nothing close to what I’d call SUCCESS in my book….my people explained tome about reaping the fruits of past karma...it really didn't make a difference. This sure was a defeat but it couldn’t break me down..or more fitting wud be -couldn't break my ‘EGO’(ah I said it) down…like my brother says I was still drunk in(/with) ego.

My second blow:

Now I had resolved if 10th was not my best year, I’d do the trick in EAMCET(engineering entrance)..between…. my brother scored 949/100 in his intermediate board(11th n 12th) and I skunked him..(ha ha) but only by a whisker..scoring 951/1000[ the changed pattern has minimal choice so 951 is commendable]. But I had competed for EAMCET…

…after slogging for two years, this time, with what I’d call an obstinate resolve and fist clenched determination, with brio and drive and a very very very very illustrious record in the infinite internal assessment exams I had given in those 2 years…I sat for the exam…if it was to be a normal day, I’d be tensed to death..but surprisingly,(I’d rather use shockingly here), I was as cool as a cucumber..very very not like me..i knew this was odd but what the heck, my records were very assuring…n my immense faith in The Almighty kept telling me- this war I wasn’t going to close…

The three hours of the exam: I started with chemistry.(I always did math first…),did well ... then….theres a sudden blankout..i can’t solve this problem on probability, an area I was considered to be a champ, there I start loosing my grip, forgetting all formulae in integration(I vividly remember, I cunt even remember integral of tan X), I screw up few questions in math…math turns out to b a damp squib(my strongest area in inter) n I head for physics. I hadn’t 4 some reason ever liked the chapter ‘Sound’ in physics, didn’t study it 4 d exam n yup ..the first 4 questions from ‘Sound’...

Though I had not given my best performance, I thought I’d get a rank almost like my brother’s(my brother’s EAMCET experience was even worse: EAMCET- his only failure, if losing to me in intermediate(he sez he’s glad I beat him) isn’t one). Come May 12th EAMCET results are announced and destiny wasn't fair at all. My worst nightmare was getting a rank of 667, I had screamed waking up my parents, brother and my cousins that night! This was ‘THE BIGGEST FAILURE OF MY LIFE’. My ego took a severe beating; I wasn’t going to say a word for the next few days. I learnt the biggest n most valuable lesson of my life. My failure in my dream exam taught me more than what I’d learnt in 16 yrs of my life…..I was from then going to be ‘MYSELF MINUS EGO’.

I’m happy, I’ve had no more such jolts after my EAMCET, (touch wood), been doing pretty well in engineering. Talking of ego….I’m no bloody selfless altruist now, but yes I’m no smug looking ego-maniac anymore (I was never that..anyway!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

arre mishti i had written some other comment bt doesnt seem to be approved.......if u dont like it then i will not write again......that was my first one and was for u ..u r the 1st person whose blog i had read .......anyways.......it is upto u..........whether u approve it or not... m a girl .,..........no guy ok........

Anonymous said...

you are a winner all the way:))

Kay said...

*J at ur brain*
yu seriously give complex to me(pea brained)...951 outa 1k...667 in eamcet....whoa!...double whoa!
neways man...gud to knw yu r brainy kinds...nd the way yu write too is pretty gud...intresting kinds...
.
.
.
.
*tear in ma eye coz i hv no super brains*
peace out pal!

Girish Mallapragada said...

I hope you will finally find peace.. like I did.

I gave my EAMCET in 1995, seems a long time ago. It was a nightmare for me as I ended up putting down physics answers in the Math section and then redoing the 50 of them!!! Finally I ended up with a rank of 2811.

Cribbed through my first year at Vasavi, considering writing JEE again. Better sense prevailed, I continued there, gave CAT went to an IIM, worked for a year and now finishing up a PhD in marketing in the US.

You never know what life's got in store for you, don't worry and hang in there. You will do well as long as you work-hard and work smart.

 
Creative Commons License
Blog by Srilakshmi Chodavarapu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at srilu121@gmail.com.