When Wodehouse scripts Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi

An episode :

Shanti Niketan:

It was one of those very many jolly, happy, bread-crumbling parties where you cough twice before you speak, and then decide not to say it after all. The Virani family is celebrating Baa’s birthday. Baa was either about a hundred and fifty who was rather young for her years or about a hundred and ten who had been aged by trouble.

Tulsi, looking dignifiedly like the statue of liberty, enters the resplendent hall. She is constructed on the lines of a Greek Goddess, particularly remarkable for aristocratic hauteur and forcefulness of the eye.

Abir whizzes in. He looked like an ostrich that had just swallowed a door knob. Abir, who lost his mother at a very young age, had lost all restraint, springing from girl to girl with an assiduity which seemed to suggest that he intended to go on dating them till the supply gave out.

He says “Tulsi Maathe, you ought not to have been here, for, what you are going to witness will tell on your health. You are very old!”
The fishy glitter in his eye became intensified. He laughs, evilly.

Tulsi shudders slightly and in addition to shuddering utters a sharp quack of anguish such as might have proceeded from some duck which, sauntering in a reverie beside a duck-pond, had inadvertently stubbed its toe on a broken soda-water bottle.

She just laughs a silvery laugh and disappears into the crowd leaving Abir anxious.

Karan arrives from Bangalore. Tanya, his devoted wife, whose motherly love is challenged by her husband’s step daughter Bhoomi, decides to speak with Karan about Bhoomi’s marriage with Abir.

Just when Tanya is about to talk to Karan, Tulsi introduces Karan to Mr. Mehta, their business associate and suggests that her grand daughter should marry into their family.

The obedient step son that Karan is, he agrees and makes an announcement in the party.

Abir is nonplused. When you have just been told that the girl you love is definitely betrothed to another, you begin to understand what anarchists feel when the bomb goes off too soon. His whole aspect was that of a man who has been unexpectedly struck by lightning.

Bhoomi trots into her room furiously, her voice trailed away in a sigh that was like the wind blowing through the cracks in a broken heart.

Abir leaves Shanti Niketan in utter disbelief. He experiences the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy’s Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

Here, back in Shanti Niketan, Bhoomi sets herself ablaze. She is rescue though. With her face drawn, the eyes haggard, the general appearance that of one who has searched for the leak in life's gas pipe with a lighted candle, she tells her step father that she does not want to marry this bloke. She pauses and swallows convulsively, like a Pekingese taking a pill. Then she announces that she is pregnant with Abir’s child. The drowsy stillness of the party was shattered by what sounded to Tulsi’s strained senses like G. K. Chesterton falling on a sheet of tin. The Mehtas leave.

Tanya calls Abir to inform him about this development. Abir laughs again, evilly. A laugh like a squadron of cavalry charging over a tin bridge..

“BALAJI TELEFILMS BANNER”

Naah, I wasn't going to make Kyunki a musical comedy.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha .. good job thts called creativity.. ha ha ha ha h

Anonymous said...

what a post.awesome.you are a genious.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes there is nothing to comment.You are so much in awe of the post that it becomes difficult to write something about it.Capital.Capital.Capital.Capital.

One does not get tired of praising you because you manage to take them by a surprise everytime they meet you everytime they read your posts,anything.You are a genious.

Anonymous said...

Sublime...................

Anonymous said...

ha ha.My dad read some of your posts and he is like,"This girl is BRILLIANT." You should cling on more to her..lol.He thinks this blog is a total new dimension to what he knows about you already.The conversation got only boring..you will not to listen.
The only I said during the whoollle conversation was,"yeah,she remembers lines and characters and conversations and everything of thousands of novels by heart.yes,thats why she pulled off this post."
One thing..tulsi doesn't look even slightly like a greek goddess.

If you ever come on yahoo or gtalk,leave me an offline about your plans this weekend

Anonymous said...

hi beautiful.great post.

Anonymous said...

Nice one.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1126746,00.html

Anonymous said...

srilu,srilu..
you are the best.so are your posts.keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading ur blog 4 d first time.I read 1st 15 posts.I cld not stop myself.u write brilliantly.Yaa.u r a GENIOUS.d comments on ur blog r interesting too.lots of hype.but u deserve it.i hv read millions of blogs but nothing to match urs.hats off.goodluck.

Anonymous said...

hello..
Am Arpit.. i write a tech blog http://technicalbliss.blogspot.com
Can we exchange link? If yes, add me in you blogroll and drop a msg on my blog.. i will add you in my blog roll..
Thanks..

Anonymous said...

In what tense have you narrated the story?

Anonymous said...

In which*........

Anonymous said...

O great Mishti,
Salutations to your genious,
Kudos to your ingenuity.
Now,I perfectly understand why people call you a Goddess!

Dude Hyderabadi said...

Telugu channels baaaadly need some good soaps.., ever gave a thought of writing for them ? ;)

sC said...

i was thinking of the perfect lines. they dint stike me impromtu. slept over that thought.think i found them
albiet, ad-libitum:-
'Her penmanship was beautiful, but with so many curlicues, it was hard to read.'
ha ha ..girl,i'm one of ur drunken patrons.dont take words of this dipsomaniac to heart.
u write articulately with the choiciest words. commendations.

Anonymous said...

too good too good..
you are just toooooo good

Anonymous said...

I thought I was so sane
Tht I let miss the train
Treading just another lane
Alone in jitters and strain

My name is 'I'
In open I try
learning to fly
Not the catcher in the rye

I've beheld the beauty of love in few
My Love and friendship fill the groove
I'll never walk alone is all I want to prove!
I'll never walk alone is all I want to prove!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was so sane
Tht I let miss the train
Treading just another lane
Alone in jitters and strain

My name is 'I'
In open I try
learning to fly
The catcher in the rye

I've beheld the beauty in you
My Love and friendship fill the groove
I'll never walk alone is all I want to prove!
I'll never walk alone is all I want to prove!

Anonymous said...

srilu,
Have you stopped writing??
Your fans will go mad..Pls write something.Pls.

Anonymous said...

hi beautiful
pls write something on ur blog. v miss u.a looooooooooooot.

 
Creative Commons License
Blog by Srilakshmi Chodavarapu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at srilu121@gmail.com.